Saturday, June 19, 2010

Turn On The Tele!

Normally I'm not much of a TV watcher. I have a hard time getting interested in the shows that are on. Why bother to turn it on? I never had a reason to until my dear, sweet aunt of mine introduced me to Dr. Who and The Ricky Gervais Show.





I've heard this show mention a thousand times up at Iowa State. Evidently it's very popular around the design community. I never thought to give it a try until my aunt turned it on one night. The actor who plays "The Doctor" is the last of the time lords. With his phone booth time machine he travels through time and sets things right. The series originated during the 70's and the actor was definitely not the one seen above. When the first Dr. career was coming to an end, the writers put in a twist to the story that the Dr. could regenerate himself each time he came near to death. After each regeneration he would look different, have different quirks, and have little changes in personality. All his past experiences and memories would stay intact.

Due to a recent Dr. change, a new story arc has started and made it easy for blokes like myself to get into the show. Each episode shows off the experience the writers have. With a beautiful blend of suspense and comedy, I've got my eyes glued every Saturday night.

The Ricky Gervais Show


When the premise of the show is "An animated talk podcast" you don't expect much. The three of hosts read questions sent to them by fans and the answers you get always seem to end up light years away from where you started. One of the hosts in particular has quite the scatter brain. In the video below you'll see what I mean as Karl Pinkerton elaborates on his grand idea of rebirth.



I believe that the fact that the show is animated is a huge factor in why it is so popular. The funny caricatures and the hilarious explanatory drawings make this show a great watch.

2 comments:

  1. I do hope you don't mean you actually like Matt Smith as the doctor?
    He is a clueless wet blanket and does not act as a 903 time lord should. The past two doctors of the new series were SO much better.
    You need to watch the 9th and 10th doctors.

    Also the show started in 1963, not the 70s. js
    (Sorry I'm a rather big whovian)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I posted this I was very new to the series. It did indeed start in 1963. I have taken the liberty of starting at season 1 and am currently working my way up.

    As for Matt Smith's acting. It's perfectly common for people to hate the different. His Doctor is starting to show signs of aging while keeping a younger body. I guess the writers forgot to give him that 903 year old time lord hand book.. Maybe they'll give it to him when they finish filming the Time War.

    ReplyDelete